The College & The Trust
About The College
Landau Forte College Derby was purpose built and opened in 1992 as the 14th City Technology College in England. As one of the original City Technology Colleges nationally it was a founding member of the City Technology Colleges Trust which has grown into the specialist schools movement known as the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust. In 2005 we were invited by HM Government to change our status from a College to an Academy and on 1 September 2006, after an agreement was reached between our Primary Sponsors the Landau Charitable Foundation and Rocco Forte Hotels Plc, we successfully completed the change.
Whilst the College is part of the national network of schools and colleges, it is owned and operated as an independent educational organisation, providing free full time education for children from 11 to 19 years old who live mainly within the City of Derby or within a radius of 4.75 miles from the College. We have more than 1100 students with around a quarter of them in the post-16 phase.
The College has been established to bring together the worlds of business, industry and education in a uniquely productive partnership to secure the highest quality education for young people. We offer dual specialisms of Technology and Business Enterprise. Demand for places is very high and the College has been extended to accommodate more students and provide improved learning facilities for them.
The College provides a distinctive style of education. The aim is to make learning challenging, interesting and relevant to the future to ensure that our students:
- Have acquired the ability to think logically and approach situations with an open and inquiring mind.
- Become independent learners.
- Have discovered and developed their personal strengths, aptitudes and interests.
- Are familiar with the expectations of future employers.
- Understand how industry is structured and operates.
- Are well equipped with the technological skills, adaptability and interpersonal skills necessary in employment and training.
- Have developed personal qualities of initiative, self-reliance and responsibility so that they grow into enterprising versatile and law abiding citizens.
- Are encouraged to contribute to a better society which takes into account the needs of others and shows respect for people and the environment.
Learning Quality Framework – Gold Level
Landau Forte College Derby was very proud to be the first secondary school in the country to be awarded a Gold Level under the Learning Quality Framework. This is a nationally recognised standard that captures how key aspects of a school’s culture link together to assist in developing learning and learners. The LQF provides a lens through which an organisation can evaluate their learning journey and set themselves challenges, enabling them to move forward more effectively. After a period of rigorous self-evaluation and action planning, supported by TLO – The Learning Organisation, we have developed many aspects of our learning environment to the highest possible standards. By receiving the Gold Level award, we have been recognised for our achievements in creating a more expansive education for young people.
Ethos & Culture
- Student learning, attainment, achievement and well being are at the centre of strategic thinking, planning and actions.
- A ‘can do’ attitude is actively promoted and prevalent throughout the College.
- There is a culture of success where achievement is rewarded and celebrated.
- Underpinned by high aspirations and ambition for both students and staff there is an expectation for everyone to be determined and have a desire and commitment to continuously improve.
- The independent status of the College is fully embraced to encourage self confidence, a pro-active approach and taking responsibility for one’s own actions whilst enabling rapid and appropriate response to changing circumstances.
In partnership with parents, the local community and industry Landau Forte College Derby seeks to provide a high quality, technologically and vocationally focused education which empowers each individual, giving everyone the motivation to learn and the capability to achieve success. In working towards the Mission there is a key objective within each of the following seven areas of activity:
- In relation to students
Equipping students with the qualifications, personal skills and attitudes required for successful adult life and creating an environment in which all people are valued and respected.
- In relation to the curriculum
Providing a broad, balanced, rigorous and innovative curriculum which will both meet the requirements of the National Curriculum and have a technological and vocational focus.
- In relation to the staff
Recruiting, retaining and developing a high quality staff committed to working at Landau Forte College Derby.
- In relation to parents
Actively engaging parents and carers as partners in the education of their children.
- In relation to the operation of the College
Ensuring that the operation of the College is efficient and that sufficient resources are deployed effectively to achieve the objectives.
- In relation to industry and the local community
Developing close and mutually beneficial partnerships with industry and the local community.
- In relation to monitoring systems
Establishing effective systems for monitoring which will inform the process of continuous improvement.
The two founding sponsors of Landau Forte College Derby, from whom the College takes its name, are The Landau Charitable Foundation, a private educational and charitable trust, and Rocco Forte & Family Ltd., formerly Britain’s largest hotel and catering group. Although the Forte family no longer own this group they are still major supporters of the College.
Other sponsors include:
- Department for Education
- Bowmer & Kirkland Ltd.
- The Forte Charitable Trust (funded by the Forte family)
- The Lord Forte Foundation
- Rolls-Royce PLC
- Thorntons PLC
- Williams PLC
- Wolfson Foundation
We are grateful to the Primary and Major Sponsors and to all the companies, individuals and other organisations who continue to support the work of the College.
About The Trust
Landau Forte Charitable Trust was established in 1989 and now operates 6 Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form Academies across the Midlands. Our education model and over 20 years of experience operating an innovative and forward thinking educational organisation has become the DNA from which more Landau Forte Academies have been developed.
We are passionate about educating children across the 4 – 19 age range. It is our intention to make a positive difference to the lives of young people with the ambition of securing the best education possible for them.
For more information about the Trust and our academies, we encourage you to visit the Landau Forte Charitable Trust website.
Contact details for the Trust can be found at the end of the Academy’s Contact page.
Annual Report & Accounts
Directors & Trustees
|Martin Landau||President of the Trust, Principal Founding Sponsor, Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Mike Davies, OBE||Chair of the Board of Directors and Trustee|
|The Hon Mrs Olga Polizzi, CBE||Deputy Chair of the Board of Directors and Trustee|
|The Hon Sir Rocco Forte||Founding Sponsor, Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Dr Antony Edkins||Chief Executive of the Trust and Executive Principal for the Trust's Academies and Board of Directors|
|Dame Kathryn August||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Margaret Bell||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Sir Roger Carr||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|The Hon David McAlpine||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|R Morgan||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Terence Ousley||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Alex Polizzi||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Simon Shooter||Board of Directors and Trustee|
|Keith Doble||Board of Directors|
|D Shore||Board of Directors|
|Peter Traves||Board of Directors|