A noun is a naming word; this may be a person, a thing or an idea. So, a baby, a builder, a candle, a city, a street, happiness and fear are all nouns.
Now You Try
Read these sentences and underline the nouns. Answers can be found below.
- The boy was walking his dog through the park.
- The girl in the blue dress was pulling faces at the teacher.
- The boy cowered with fear.
- The girl went shopping in Derby.
Now fill in the gaps in these sentences with your own nouns. You may wish to make the sentences seem funny or amusing.
Shall I take my _______________________ to _________________________ today?
The baby threw its ______________________ out of the _____________________.
My ______________________ would rather play __________________ than _______________________.
Please do not feed the __________________________.
- boy, dog, park
- girl, dress, faces, teacher
- boy, fear
- girl, Derby