Looking back at the last few months, there is once again so much to celebrate at LFCD! Our new Year 7 and Year 12 cohorts have settled into school so well and we are very proud of all our young people. I am particularly pleased that visitors to the College always comment on the positive and purposeful atmosphere in the school as that is such a wonderful reflection on all our young people.
As always, there have been some fantastic enrichment events taking place since the beginning of the academic year so please do look out for the next edition of the Landau Leader which will detail what has been taking place at LFCD
We are delighted to announce that this summer’s GCSE examination results placed us in the top 20% of all schools in the country, with our Maths and Science results being in the top 10% nationally. English, PE, Geography and Business GCSE results also placed us in the top 20% in the country. A level results were outstanding, again placing us within the top 10% of all schools in the country and the number of students achieving grades AAB again being in the top 10% nationally. These are all remarkable achievements and something that we can all be very proud of! Well done and thank you to our fantastic students, their families, and our dedicated staff team who are truly making a difference to the lives of our young people.
As you will know, we take great pride in how smart our students look in their uniform. I am so pleased to see the vast majority of our students wearing their uniform with real pride, but unfortunately there are times when some students do not adhere to the uniform policy. The full uniform policy is available on our website here: Dress Code. This makes it clear that students are not permitted to wear false eyelashes, acrylic nails/nail extensions, or facial piercings to College. Students are permitted to wear one pair of stud earrings and a wristwatch only. We will continue to challenge and put sanctions in place for students who do not follow our uniform policy as this is unfair to the majority of students who do follow the rules. As temperatures drop we would also encourage all students to wear a warm winter coat to school.
We have a significant amount of high quality donated uniform and we want to provide this to our families. If you would like to request a free uniform bundle please do contact Mrs Karen Hill on Reception, in confidence [email protected]
Parking at College/on Fox Street
If you collect or drop off your child in a car from Fox Street please observe the parking restrictions and road safety. The situation on Fox Street is becoming undeniably dangerous and I must ask again that you do not double park on Fox Street. Unfortunately, we are still seeing parents regularly parking on the double yellow lines on both sides of the road, which means the road quickly becomes grid locked. This means that students who wish to cross Fox Street have to walk out into the road between parked cars, with limited visibility, and so are placed at significant risk. We are continuing to ask both the Police and Derby City Council for their support with this issue.
We appreciate that there is limited space while dropping off or waiting for your sons and daughters, but we would ask that you encourage your child to use public transport, you car share with other families, or make arrangements to drop off or meet your child on an adjacent street. We are reviewing the use of the turning circle as this is becoming increasingly busy at the end of the day. We will write to you in January with an update on access to the turning circle at the end of the school day.
Finally, I would like to draw your attention to a few key dates during the next weeks of term:
- Our annual Winter Fair will take place on Saturday 2 December, from 11am until 4pm. We look forward to welcoming lots of you to this very special festive free event where we will have over 50 stalls showcasing a large variety of products. Our extremely popular Santa’s Grotto will also return for those magical moments, which including crafting activities for the children, a gift, and a printed photo with the big man himself! We look forward to welcoming lots of you to this magical event!
- Christmas lunch will be served by the College’s Executive Team on Thursday 21 December and will cost £2.40.
- On Tuesday 19 December we will be holding our Winter Warmer, an extravaganza of music, drama and dance, celebrating the wonderful world of Disney! Tickets are £3 and available via Parent Pay.
- The last day of term, Friday 22 December, will be a non-uniform day in support of the Landau Forte Enrichment Fund. Students can pay £1 in cash or via Parent Pay. The LFCD Tuck Shop will also be open so students may want to bring a small amount of extra cash with them to purchase sweets and treats!
- Friday 22 December is the last day of term, and the College will close for the winter break at 1.30pm. The College will reopen to all students on Monday 8 January at 8.20am.
We wish all our students and their families a very positive end to the term. Please do contact me directly via the PA to the Principal, Miss Walendziewski, [email protected], if you have any questions. We hope to see you at our Winter Fair!