About The College
Landau Forte College Derby was purpose-built and opened in 1992 as the 14th City Technology College in England, the College became an academy in 2005. Ofsted rated Landau Forte College as ‘outstanding’ in May 2012 and the school continues to provide a great standard of education and enrichment opportunities for all its students. The College has a Sixth Form.
Our College Ethos
In partnership with parents, the local community and industry we hold outstanding teaching and learning at the centre of everything we do. We aim to inspire, engage and challenge all our young people, regardless of background, to be the best that they can be. We have the highest expectations of all in a supportive, happy and welcoming environment. Our students are active, responsible citizens, ready to make a difference in the local, national and global community.
Our Vision and Values
Landau Forte College has always been a diverse community. We are proud to provide excellent opportunities to all learners, irrespective of background or ability.
Our vision at Landau Forte College is to ensure that every young person is inspired, engaged and challenged to achieve at the highest possible level. At the heart of everything we do is a strong moral purpose to ensure all young people have access to the highest quality education and enrichment experiences. We are relentlessly ambitious for our students in their future aspirations and we want their success to go beyond academic achievement.
The College aims to ensure that our young people leave as confident, healthy, secure and independent individuals who have a love of learning and are ready to make a personal contribution to society.
We will do this by:
- Providing an exciting learning environment where young people feel safe, happy and valued. We will meet the educational and social needs of all our young people, regardless of ability, ethnic background or disability
- Assisting our young people to become confident, creative and questioning individuals who are strong leaders and equally effective team players
- Ensuring our staff are an inspirational, dedicated and well supported team who provided exceptional teaching experience for our young people
- Investing in the high quality professional development of all our staff
- Promoting high standards of achievement and attainment – our young people will be academically well qualified with a breadth of experience that has maximised all their talents and aptitudes
- Giving our young people access to a challenging, broad and balanced curriculum, including regular and frequent opportunities to participate in high quality extracurricular enrichment experiences
- Managing resources effectively and efficiently, ensuring value for money
- Building trusting and informed relationship with parents/ carers and the local community through working in a true partnership
Landau Forte College Derby and Teaching and Learning Rationale:
Every Landau Forte learner, regardless of background or ability, deserves to be immersed high quality teaching and learning, allowing them to achieve their potential and succeed. We follow the ‘Landau Learners: Lifelong Learners’ Consistency Model where effective teaching and learning is characterised by the following key principles and all sessions should reflect these:
Learning objectives that are sharp and challenging
Assessment: incisive feedback that students can respond effectively to
Needs-based planning: adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all students
Deep knowledge demands more of students
Adequate time to practice and embed knowledge with no time wasted
Understanding of students is checked through questioning and timely support is offered
Literacy: equipping students with the skills to progress in College and beyond
Expectations- the highest of expectations of all students’ attitudes to learning
Achievement: We encourage all students to try hard and have pride in all aspects of their work
Resilience: Curious learners who use failure to improve
Never forgetting to teach to the top
Embedding knowledge, reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills
Resources that are appropriate and allow students to make progress
Stretching learners of all abilities and backgrounds
The two founding sponsors of Landau Forte College Derby, from whom the College takes its name, are The Landau Charitable Foundation, a private educational and charitable trust, and Rocco Forte & Family Ltd., formerly Britain’s largest hotel and catering group. Although the Forte family no longer own this group they are still major supporters of the College.
About The Trust
Landau Forte Charitable Trust was established in 1989 and now operates 6 Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form Academies across the Midlands. Our education model and over 20 years of experience operating an innovative and forward thinking educational organisation has become the DNA from which more Landau Forte Academies have been developed.
We are passionate about educating children across the 4 – 19 age range. It is our intention to make a positive difference to the lives of young people with the ambition of securing the best education possible for them.
For more information about the Trust and our academies, we encourage you to visit the Landau Forte Charitable Trust website.
Contact details for the Trust can be found at the end of the Academy’s Contact page.