About The College
Landau Forte College Derby was purpose-built and opened in 1992 as the 14th City Technology College in England, the College became an academy in 2005. Ofsted rated Landau Forte College as ‘outstanding’ in May 2012 and the school continues to provide a great standard of education and enrichment opportunities for all its students. We are just about to embark on an exciting £11 million expansion project which will offer an additional 520 students the opportunity to join this oversubscribed, successful, and thriving school. The College also has a 200 place Sixth Form.
Our College Ethos
In partnership with parents, the local community and industry we hold outstanding teaching and learning at the centre of everything we do. We aim to inspire, engage and challenge all our young people, regardless of background, to be the best that they can be. We have the highest expectations of all in a supportive, happy and welcoming environment. Our students are active, responsible citizens, ready to make a difference in the local, national and global community.
Our Vision and Values
Landau Forte College has always been a diverse community. We are proud to provide excellent opportunities to all learners, irrespective of background or ability.
Our vision at Landau Forte College is to ensure that every young person is inspired, engaged and challenged to achieve at the highest possible level. At the heart of everything we do is a strong moral purpose to ensure all young people have access to the highest quality education and enrichment experiences. We are relentlessly ambitious for our students in their future aspirations and we want their success to go beyond academic achievement.
The College aims to ensure that our young people leave as confident, healthy, secure and independent individuals who have a love of learning and are ready to make a personal contribution to society.
We will do this by:
- Providing an exciting learning environment where young people feel safe, happy and valued. We will meet the educational and social needs of all our young people, regardless of ability, ethnic background or disability
- Assisting our young people to become confident, creative and questioning individuals who are strong leaders and equally effective team players
- Ensuring our staff are an inspirational, dedicated and well supported team who provided exceptional teaching experience for our young people
- Investing in the high quality professional development of all our staff
- Promoting high standards of achievement and attainment – our young people will be academically well qualified with a breadth of experience that has maximised all their talents and aptitudes
- Giving our young people access to a challenging, broad and balanced curriculum, including regular and frequent opportunities to participate in high quality extracurricular enrichment experiences
- Managing resources effectively and efficiently, ensuring value for money
- Building trusting and informed relationship with parents/ carers and the local community through working in a true partnership
Landau Forte College Derby and Teaching and Learning Rationale:
Every Landau Forte learner, regardless of background or ability, deserves to be immersed high quality teaching and learning, allowing them to achieve their potential and succeed. We follow the ‘Landau Learners: Lifelong Learners’ Consistency Model where effective teaching and learning is characterised by the following key principles and all sessions should reflect these:
Learning objectives that are sharp and challenging
Assessment: incisive feedback that students can respond effectively to
Needs-based planning: adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all students
Deep knowledge demands more of students
Adequate time to practice and embed knowledge with no time wasted
Understanding of students is checked through questioning and timely support is offered
Literacy: equipping students with the skills to progress in College and beyond
Expectations- the highest of expectations of all students’ attitudes to learning
Achievement: We encourage all students to try hard and have pride in all aspects of their work
Resilience: Curious learners who use failure to improve
Never forgetting to teach to the top
Embedding knowledge, reading, writing, communication and mathematical skills
Resources that are appropriate and allow students to make progress
Stretching learners of all abilities and backgrounds
Landau Forte College Derby Expansion Consultation Response
We have been delighted by the responses to our consultation on the proposed expansion of Landau Forte College Derby. It is fantastic to see how supportive our local community is of these plans, and the responses we received highlighted a number of interesting topics to consider as we progress with these plans.
Of course, as part of this process, we received a number of responses which raised concerns about possible side-effects of the expansion, which we wanted to address here:
- We are aware that there are concerns that while there are predicted to be an increase in student numbers over the next few years, which the proposed expansion is designed to meet, this increase is not guaranteed to continue.
- There are also plans to ensure these additional places are allocated in a fair and environmentally sustainable fashion. This will form a central part of the initial planning process and we will also bear in mind any new environmental or traffic concerns which could arise as a result.
- We also have every intention of ensuring that all students benefit from this expansion, including students with Special Educational Needs. We intend to work closely with DCC on this matter, we will also engage with neighbouring schools who help support these students to ensure our offer is as targeted and supportive as possible.
- In addition, we have noted concerns that the expansion may use public funds which could be used to support neighbouring schools and have requested that DCC ensure that this does not happen. We are well aware that it is by working collaboratively that we can offer Derbyshire children the best possible education.
- Finally, we received a number of responses questioning the timeframe for this expansion. The initial swathe of extra places will be available by September 2022, with any required building works taking place over the course of Summer 2022.
Thank you to everyone who responded to this consultation and provided us with a great sense of what our local community thinks about this proposed expansion. We know how important it is to have a strong relationship with your local community, and this is something we intend to continue developing over the course of this process.
Although this consultation has now ended, if you do have any additional concerns or thoughts about this expansion, please do contact us at [email protected]
We will continue to work closely with DCC on developing this proposal and hope to share more information with our community shortly.
The two founding sponsors of Landau Forte College Derby, from whom the College takes its name, are The Landau Charitable Foundation, a private educational and charitable trust, and Rocco Forte & Family Ltd., formerly Britain’s largest hotel and catering group. Although the Forte family no longer own this group they are still major supporters of the College.
Other sponsors include:
- Department for Education
- Bowmer & Kirkland Ltd.
- The Forte Charitable Trust (funded by the Forte family)
- The Lord Forte Foundation
- Rolls-Royce PLC
- Thorntons PLC
- Williams PLC
- Wolfson Foundation
We are grateful to the Primary and Major Sponsors and to all the companies, individuals and other organisations who continue to support the work of the College.
About The Trust
Landau Forte Charitable Trust was established in 1989 and now operates 6 Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form Academies across the Midlands. Our education model and over 20 years of experience operating an innovative and forward thinking educational organisation has become the DNA from which more Landau Forte Academies have been developed.
We are passionate about educating children across the 4 – 19 age range. It is our intention to make a positive difference to the lives of young people with the ambition of securing the best education possible for them.
For more information about the Trust and our academies, we encourage you to visit the Landau Forte Charitable Trust website.
Contact details for the Trust can be found at the end of the Academy’s Contact page.
Annual Report & Accounts
Scheme of Delegation
Directors & Trustees
|Peter Cox||Chair of Trustees|
|Martin Landau||President of the Trust, Principal Founding Sponsor, and Member|
|The Hon Mrs Olga Polizzi, CBE||Member|
|The Hon Sir Rocco Forte||Founding Sponsor, Member|