The College is committed to ensuring the safety of its students in their use of modern technologies. As the Internet has grown the issues have become broader, touching not only the PC, but mobile phones and gaming.
We have undertaken Online Safety Weeks in the past, which highlighted to students some key messages to do with online safety. Students took part in a ‘Facebook MOT’ session to encourage them to address the security settings on their social networking profile; this was supported by a series of themed gatherings and in-session activities tailored to each year group.
More generally, we teach Online Safety awareness as part of the curriculum throughout all Key Stages.
On this page, you will find several resources, for both parents & carers and children that highlight some of the issues related to Online Safety – we hope you find them useful.
The College has also made available its guide for protecting yourself on Facebook. It contains advice on how to increase security of your account and privacy settings, as well as information on blocking other users from seeing your profile.
Parental Control Guides
The College has compiled a collection of ‘step by step’ guides provided by Internet Matters, outlining how parents can implement parental controls for a variety of devices, ISPs, content providers and gaming consoles and services.
Parents & Carers
- Get Safe Online – http://www.getsafeonline.org/
- ChildNet International – http://www.childnet.com/
- NetSmartz Workshop – http://www.netsmartz.org/Parents
- ThinkUknow – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
- UKCCIS – Advice for Child Internet Safety
- CEOP YouTube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/user/ceop
- Internet Matters – http://www.internetmatters.org
- NSPCC Online Safety – https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/
The link below gives some brief instructions on how to set parental controls on some popular games consoles:
- NetSmartz Workshop – http://www.netsmartz.org/Teens
- ThinkUknow – http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
- Chatdanger – http://www.chatdanger.com/
- ThinkUknow YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thinkuknow
Please Note: Landau Forte College Derby is not responsible for content on external websites.